We Find Answers For Unique Immigration Challenges
Chicago Immigration Lawyers

Student Visa Attorney in Chicago

Providing International Students With Quality Immigration Services

Many international students wish to come and study in person at U.S. higher learning institutions every year. The F1 visa, called the Academic Student visa, allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. to complete educational programs in all 50 states.

Foreign nationals who obtain student visas must retain residency in their home country. However, in some instances, students may be eligible to change their immigration status and apply for a green card.

However, the student visa application process can often be confusing, and if not completed correctly, it can lead to unnecessary delays.

A student visa lawyer can assist you with gathering documentation and submitting necessary evidence, such as the fact you are proficient in English or enrolled in an English language program.

Contact SwagatUSA LLC of Chicago, IL, to schedule an initial consultation to determine your legal needs and how we may assist you.

How Do I Qualify to Obtain a Student Visa?

If you are a foreign national who wishes to obtain a student visa, you must meet several requirements, which include:

  • Demonstrate proficiency in English. However, one exception is that you are enrolled in a language training program.
  • Demonstrate sufficient funds to cover living expenses and pay for your educational needs.
  • Provide proof that you are enrolled full-time in an educational institution approved by the USCIS.
  • Have a Form I-240A-B issued by the educational institution.
  • Live outside the United States when you apply for an F1 visa.

Individuals applying for an F1 visa must also schedule and pass a visa interview at the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy. Because waiting times and administrative backlogs can cause delays in scheduling interviews, potential international students should plan well in advance.

Our law firm can assist you with preparing for your interview and gathering all the necessary legal documents. Contact SwagatUSA LLC to learn more about the legal services we provide to students.

What are the Benefits of Having a Student Visa?

The F-1 visa offers many significant benefits for students wanting to receive an education in the United States.

Some of the most notable advantages of obtaining a student F-1 visa include:

  • Ability to pursue a certificate or degree from an approved U.S. educational institution.
  • The option to transfer to a different school or academic program without having to notify the USCIS.
  • Legally work off campus if it involves training related to your educational program or engage in part-time work on campus/
  • Legally travel within the U.S. or abroad until you complete your education.
  • Bring your spouse and children to the U.S. using an F-2 visa.

If you want more information about the value of obtaining an F-1 visa, contact our Chicago law firm, and ask to schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable student visa lawyers. A qualified legal team member will gladly answer your questions and determine how we may be able to assist you.

How Long Can a Student Visa Holder Stay in the United States?

The amount of time an individual may stay in the United States depends on several factors, such as the duration of the study program. The length of time an F-1 visa holder is permitted to stay for the length of time that is noted on their I-20 Form.

In most instances, F-1 visa holders are permitted to remain in the U.S. for a maximum of 60 days after graduation.

However, some other reasons that stay may be extended include:

  • A delay in the study duration due to illness or a change in an academic major. However, if either of these situations occurs, the individual must request an extension from the school’s designated school official to change their student visa status.
  • Under certain circumstances, an F-1 visa holder may be allowed to extend their stay to complete an internship program after their studies have been completed.
  • After graduation, some F-1 visa holders may qualify for Optional Practical Training, which allows them to work in their field of study for a predetermined period.

Why Should I Allow Your Immigration Lawyer to Help Me Obtain a Student Visa?

SwagatUSA LLC has extensive experience helping individuals seeking F-1 student visas come to the United States. Our team of knowledgeable legal professionals focuses solely on immigration law and knows what it takes to get favorable client results.

For example, we can evaluate your case and help to:

  • Determine your eligibility to obtain a student visa.
  • Prepare you for the student visa interview.
  • Help ensure you have sufficient funds to cover your living and educational expenses.
  • Ensure that the Student and Exchange Visitors Program approves the school of your choice.

We can also provide more information regarding the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is an online database utilized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that provides data on foreign exchange students. All foreign nationals must register with SEVIS to be eligible to receive the I-20 Form necessary for the student visa application process.

Regardless of what university or college you wish to attend, it is always best to hire an immigration lawyer to advise you during the application process and ensure it goes smoothly.

We can also provide you with information regarding the process of applying for a green card after receiving a student visa. Because the F-1 is a nonimmigrant visa you may be able to apply for an employment based visa that could lead to permanent residency.

If you want to know more about our legal services and the qualifications for applying for a student visa, please contact SwagatUSA LLC at 312-854-7065 immediately. We will gladly schedule a consultation to determine how we can assist you.