We Find Answers For Unique Immigration Challenges
Chicago Immigration Lawyers

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visa Lawyer in Chicago

Assisting Clients in Obtaining Family-Based Immigrant Visas

One of the most common concerns for immigrants is being able to bring their family members to the United States. However, bringing immediate relatives to the U.S. can be daunting and overwhelming for family members already here.

Fortunately, U.S. immigration law has several provisions that enable family members of permanent residents and U.S. citizens to try and obtain immigrant visas.

Due to the complexities of family immigration law, anyone who wishes to bring their immediate family members to the U.S. must hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist them.

With the ultimate goal of becoming a permanent resident or U.S. citizen, it is always wise to have skilled legal representation to ensure the process goes smoothly.

SwagatUSA LLC of Chicago, IL, has family immigration attorneys with extensive experience helping individuals bring their foreign family members to the United States. Contact our law office and ask to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your legal options and how we can help.

Who Qualifies for an Immediate Relative Immigrant Visa?

Due to the many differences in family-based immigration visas, it is essential to understand who may qualify as immediate relatives.

Individuals who have a qualifying family relationship may be able to become a lawful permanent resident if they meet specific eligibility requirements.

Immigration law states that individuals who qualify in the immediate relative category include:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen.
  • Unmarried biological or adopted children of U.S. citizens under 21 years old.
  • Parents of a U.S. citizen if the citizen is at least 21 or older.

Suppose an individual qualifies as an immediate family member not already residing in the U.S. In that case, they must have the U.S. citizen family member submit a visa application on their behalf.

It should be noted that immediate relative visas are preferable to family preference visas. The U.S. government grants only a certain number of family preference visas, making applicants wait until they become available.

If you need further clarification about who qualifies as an immediate relative, contact our Chicago family immigration attorneys to learn more.

What Legal Documentation is Needed to Apply for a Family-Based Visa?

Specific legal documentation must be submitted by U.S. citizens or permanent residents when applying for an immediate relative family-based visa.

The first step is for the qualifying U.S. family member to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. However, the individual filing the immigrant petition will also need to include other supporting legal documentation, which includes:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: Proof may include a copy of their birth certificate that shows they were born in the United States, a copy of their naturalization certificate, or a valid U.S. passport.
  • Supporting evidence of a valid marriage: If an individual wishes to sponsor their spouse, they must provide proof of the marriage, such as a marriage certificate. Additionally, individuals must present supporting evidence that proves the legitimacy of the marriage, such as joint bank accounts and birth certificates of children produced from the marriage.
  • Supporting evidence of a family relationship: If parents wish to sponsor their unmarried children, they may submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate. The U.S. citizen may submit a copy of their birth certificate for children sponsoring parents.
  • Two passport photos.

Contact SwagatUSA LLC and allow our Chicago family immigration lawyers to help you gather the necessary legal documentation to ensure no unforeseen obstacles delay your ability to help your immediate relatives obtain a visa.

When Can a Person File an Adjustment of Status Petition for Foreign Family Members?

One of the most important steps for immediate family members to be able to apply for an adjustment of status is that it signifies the final step in their obtaining a green card.

If the USCIS approves an immediate relative visa and once the foreign family members reside in the U.S., the lawful U.S. citizen can file for an adjustment of status on their behalf.

However, several more legal criteria must be met, which include

  • Properly filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  • The family member qualifies under the immediate relative category, and that relationship still exists at the time of filing.
  • The family member qualifies to receive an immigrant visa.
  • The immediate relative is present in the U.S. when Form I-485 is filed.

However, there are several applicable factors listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act that may bar immediate relatives from obtaining an adjustment of status. To learn more information about what could lead to potential issues, contact our Chicago family immigration attorneys to schedule a consultation.

Why Should I Trust Your Family Immigration Lawyers for Help With My Legal Needs?

SwagatUSA LLC has built a well-earned reputation for helping individuals with family-based immigration issues.

Suppose you have a foreign family member who qualifies as an immediate family who wishes to come to the United States. In that case, you must hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist you.

When you come to us for help with your immigration case, we will thoroughly assess your legal needs, such as the type of documentation needed and how we can expedite the process.

Our legal team recognizes that family-based immigration is time-sensitive, and clients want timely results.

Immigration cases can be overly complex and require the help of an attorney who can provide the legal representation you need to protect your and your family member’s legal rights.

SwagatUSA LLC offers flat fees on immigration services and seeks innovative ways to help you accomplish your goals.

Contact our Chicago law offices at 312-854-7065 to schedule a consultation with an experienced Chicago family immigration attorney.