We Find Answers For Unique Immigration Challenges
Chicago Immigration Lawyers

Late in Filing I-751 Removal of Conditions on Your Green Card?

Latest News

Marriage-based green cards, where the marriage is less than 2 years old are issued a Conditional Green Card or a Conditional Permanent Resident Card with a 2 year expiration date.  One must file to remove the conditions within 90 days from the expiration date.  However, often people forget as they get caught up in their routines.

This is a reason we offer a program where we track your application and file the I-751 for you. But what happens if you have already missed your deadline?

Firstly, you are our of status and can be removed from the USA.  You essentially have 2 options. To start all over, or to late-file an I-751. Which you choose depends on a number of details.

1) are you still married to the petitioner?

2) do you have a lot of evidence of the good faith relationship?

3) why did you not file in time? Have there been extenuating circumstances?

4) what are the relative costs involved?

At this point it is crucial you hire an immigration attorney to assess your options and help you decide which is the best route for you.

We help clients with late filing I-751s and also with adjustment of status applications from all over the country. Call us today at 773-825-8695 to schedule your free initial consultation.

Related Articles