We Find Answers For Unique Immigration Challenges
Chicago Immigration Lawyers

FAQ – Deferred Action for Young People (DREAMers)

Latest News

Who Qualifies for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals?

  • Those who entered under the age of 16 (Age 15 or younger)
  • Were 31 or younger on June 15, 2012
  • Have been a resident of the US for at least 5 yrs with very few and short absences
  • Do not have a major criminal record (misdemeanors such as DUI are also considered major as discussed on USCIS stakeholder call of August 3, 2012)
  • Are currently in high school or have completed high school. (If you dropped out, now is the time to sign up for a GED. Check out www.yourged.com

What do you get when you apply for deferred action?

  • 2 year renewable work permit
  • 2 year limited protection from deportation

What happens if you apply and do not qualify for deferred action?

Most people will not be turned into ICE or have deportation proceedings initiated. Visit www.uscis.gov/nta for more information.

Where can I find the forms?

The forms will be available on USCIS website beginning August 15th. SwagatUSA, LLC will be providing legal assistance along with forms assistance to those who qualify or may qualify.

I think I qualify for deferred action, how can I be sure?

While the guidance is still coming out, we know a bit more now than we did before.  Based on this, a basic assessment can be found on www.swagatusa.com/deferred-action

What if my only convictions are driving without a license or driving without insurance?

It is important that you pay all fines that you owe. These are not considered misdemeanors for the purpose of deferred action, but will be looked at in the aggregate and a determination will be made if the person should receive deferred action.

Related Articles